Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back to basics


dsc01355
Originally uploaded by chandrangopalan
I am sitting at a seminar conducted to prepare pastors for the work of ministry. I have had attended a couple of these sessions over the past 2 years. What I have observed is that the better teachers are the ones who have had major challenges in their lives and usually much older too.

During the last couple of days we surveyed the Old Testament and this is a lot for a 4 days seminar. Our brains could not take in all that is taught but what is important is the impartation of truths in the Spirit.

Some of these truths take us back to the basis of our understanding of Scripture. An example is the learning I had received about the armor of God.

The Word reads, "Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Therefore take to yourselves the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Therefore stand, having your loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.
Above all, take the shield of faith, with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching to this very thing with all perseverance and supplication for all saints."

I used to pray the words to the affect that I spoke the literal putting on of the armor, one piece at a time, on myself. This I used to feel, protected me for the day and no demon was going to win any battle against me. Remembering our battles are against the powers of darkness, I should have know better, it is not the words but my very being that protects!

Let's think about this for a moment....if I had no understanding of God's word and had lived a life which didn't glorify God, which was a common occurrence. How was I, running out the door praying my rushed early morning prayer, going to get protection against the "open doors" of sin I had in my life. Logically this doesn't make sense, how can we think spiritually it can happen.

I now have to starting living a life completely surrendered to the LORD JESUS CHRIST changing the dimension in which I "see" HIM. All of the spirituality I need has to be in my inner most being not mere words. I need to start living a life worthy of this calling .....not an imaginary armor on my physical body.

The WORD need to be etched in my reconstructed mind and my heart has to live out the convictions which the HOLY SPIRIT has impressed upon me. My prayer is that I will not waste this life away with unfruitful pursuits!

No comments: