Sunday, June 29, 2008

Reminiscing Doing Life Together

My wife and I attended the 17th installation ceremony of a social club this afternoon. Yes, the same club which, a group of young men and women (including me) started, and became its charter members. The only breakfast club that met in the early morning hours of the day, at 7:00am. This is its uniqueness, a commitment that not many human beings could keep, that is, waking up at this unearthly hour for a social cause.

My various commitments, during the 3rd or 4th year in this club, forced me to reprioritize my choices of engagements and this social activity had to give. The mission statement, printed in the program, reminded me of the many worthy causes we were engaged in and how it impacted the community. And a big part of it was doing life together.

What is more startling is the warmth of renewed comradeship, despite the years I had not "connected" with them. The sincerity of this unpretentious behavior caught me by surprise!

This thought brought my mind racing back to a man named Cornelius. In Acts 10:22 (Amp) "And they said, Cornelius, a centurion (captain) who is just and upright and in right standing with God, being God-fearing and obedient and well spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, has been instructed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house; and he has received in answer (to prayer) a warning to listen to and act upon what you have to say".

Let me continue the scene after Peter had come to visit Cornelius. "And Cornelius said, This is now the fourth day since about this time I was observing the ninth hour (3 o'clock in the afternoon) of prayer in my lodging place; (suddenly) a man stood before me in dazzling apparel. And he said, "Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and harkened to, and your donations to the poor have been known and preserved before God (so that He heeds and is about to help you).

I believe many of my friends are like Cornelius and they a very near the Kingdom of God! I am praying that they will have a "Damascus experience" and ask the same questions, Paul did, "Who are You, Lord? and Lord, what do you desire me to do?

God continues to reveal Himself to many who are seeking the True Living God. Like Cornelius, I believe everyone is seeking the Truth and The Way is seeking them out and together as I (or laborers, we) engage them, we can do The Life together (both on earth and in heaven)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks alot Sir, I learnt alot from your blog.

CL.

Chandran said...

Hi Yeoh Chee Lim, Thanks for the encouragement and I pray God will lead you into His Way, His Truth and His Life, in Jesus name!
Do keep it touch....www.sibkl.org.my