Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Book of Remembrance


dsc01554
Originally uploaded by chandrangopalan
Everything we do in our lives will be recorded in a Book of Remembrance which will be reviewed on that final Judgment Day!

This is possibly the same view Paul shared with the Thessalonian church which was dictated at the end of chapter 2. The Word reads, "For what is our hope or happiness or our victor's wreath of exultant triumph when we stand in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? Is it not you? For you are (indeed) our glory and our joy!

During our morning staff prayer our Senior Pastor spoke about Hezekiah's prayer to God to remember what he had done and how he lived....... "Remember, O GOD, who I am, what I've done! I've lived an honest life before you, My heart's been true and steady, I've lived to please you; lived for your approval. And then the tears flowed. Hezekiah wept. Isaiah, leaving, was not halfway across the courtyard when the word of GOD stopped him: "Go back and tell Hezekiah, prince of my people, 'GOD's word, Hezekiah! From the God of your ancestor David: I've listened to your prayer and I've observed your tears. I'm going to heal you. In three days you will walk on your own legs into The Temple of GOD. I've just added fifteen years to your life; I'm saving you from the king of Assyria, and I'm covering this city with my shield--for my sake and my servant David's sake.'""

This prayer clearly shows that God does remember all that we have done, all that we are doing and all that we will be doing. This is the only prayer in the Bible, I believe, that God granted 15 additional years to a man's life and turned the sundial back 10 degrees. For us, even though our works are not remembered on earth, it will certainly be remembered in heaven.

Salvation is a free gift and it doesn't require us working for it but certainly works is required of us, after we are saved. Jesus quoted Isaiah about the task He needed to do.....God's Spirit is on me; he's chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, Sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, To set the burdened and battered free, to announce, "This is God's year to act!" (Lk 4:18-19 Msg).

The past is gone and God can forgive us of our misgiving, the present is here and we need to act on the needs we discern. But our future requires both the investment in our future generations and humility to not stop going about our Father's business.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.....And remember, that all of our works are recorded in the Book of Remembrance!

No comments: