Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Will I become a prodigal son?

Starting in Luke 15 verse 12 we see the story of a father which describes the Father heart of God. In the next ten verses I have chosen these following verses to highlight his heart for his prodigal son.

The younger said to his father, 'Father, I want right now what's coming to me.' "So the father divided the property between them. ……. "That brought him to his senses. ……I'm going back to my father. I'll say to him, Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; ………."When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. ………"But the father wasn't listening. He was calling to the servants, 'Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

The character of this father is so clearly reflected in way he dealt with his prodigal son. In asking for his inheritance the son was saying, “You are dead”. In giving him his inheritance before his death the father was saying, “You need to know for yourself”. In coming to his senses the son was saying, “Now I know my sin and as an outcast to my villager I am willing to die by being stoned”. The father watching for him through the seasons from a distance ran to meet him, which was saying, “I must reach him first before anyone recognize him as my son and stone him”. And finally when the father did see him, this old feeble man must have run to the gates of his community and without pay any attention to what the prodigal son said embraced him and protected him from the reaction of the villagers. Immediately to confirm this action he reestablishes him as a son so that the villagers could not stone him. Although the father restores his sonship, the son will never again be rewarded with inheritance.

Will I be a prodigal son?

No comments: