Sunday, November 16, 2008

......continuation from last post

Henry commentary states, "Here we have, I. Orders given to send spies to search out the land of Canaan. It is here said, God directed Moses to send them (Num_13:1, Num_13:2), but it appears by the repetition of the story afterwards (Deu_1:22) that the motion came originally from the people; they came to Moses, and said, We will send men before us; and it was the fruit of their unbelief. They would not take God's word that it was a good land, and that he would, without fail, put them in possession of it. They could not trust the pillar of cloud and fire to show them the way to it, but had a better opinion of their own politics than of God's wisdom. How absurd was it for them to send to spy out a land which God himself had spied out for them, to enquire the way into it when God himself had undertaken to show them the way! But thus we ruin ourselves by giving more credit to the reports and representations of sense than to divine revelation; we walk by sight, not by faith; whereas, if we will receive the witness of men, without doubt the witness of God is greater.

In my estimation a bad report is when we walk by sight and this was amplified very recently when I displayed a lack of self control in the midst of loved ones and staff in an argument of my rights with my wife. Although my wife and I had resolved this later the visual experience would have left a bad taste in their mouths.

The very thing which we sometimes boast of to others that we would not do, is the very thing I fell to as I was tempted. May Our Good Lord Jesus Christ cause healing to come to those affected and may I continue to trust His Good Report for our lives.

No comments: