Friday, October 31, 2008

Mensa IQ


Mensa IQ
Originally uploaded by chandrangopalan
What is Mensa? Mensa was founded in England in 1946 by Roland Berrill, a barrister, and Dr. Lance Ware, a scientist and lawyer. They had the idea of forming a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership of which was a high IQ. The original aims were, as they are today, to create a society that is non-political and free from all racial or religious distinctions. The society welcomes people from every walk of life whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population, with the objective of enjoying each other's company and participating in a wide range of social and cultural activities.

During my early teen I had desired to be a part of this group of individuals but obviously I wasn't because I didn't quite make the cut! I was quite determined to work at it but you still have to have "the brain matter" to make it.

In fact one of the early "information technology" college was recruiting students to go to UK and had us do an IQ test here in Malaysia. Although I made the top few to qualify via this test, I could not raise the funds to go as my dad had already retired by then.

Today I look back at this situation and my devotion verse and sense how the world looks at each other. Paul says in 1 Cor 10:12-15, "Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence. No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. So, my very dear friends, when you see people reducing God to something they can use or control, get out of their company as fast as you can.
I assume I'm addressing believers now who are mature. Draw your own conclusions:"

I am praying I will grow to be the matured Christian Paul is referring to being God-confidence and not rely on IQ.

No comments: