Thursday, August 7, 2008

Crown of Righteousness



The Olympic games will be upon us this Friday and the best athletics in the world would be competing with each other for honors. A marathon run which awards everyone who completes the race is not often heard of. In this race, everyone who crosses the finish line is awarded a prize. This was the thought that ran through my mind as I conducted the wake service for my good friend's late father.

His dad had lived for 92 years and stayed faithfully married until his wife departed a year ago. The deceased leaves behind a son, 3 daughters and 6 grand children. He is now reunited with his wife and a daughter; who went home to be with the Lord a few years earlier. He was known to be a gentle and peace loving husband, father and son.

The scripture reading and the message shared, accurately reflected his life. It was taken from the second letter to Timothy in Chapter 4 verses 6 to 8. The Word reads:
Posted by Picasa For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

He must have been keenly aware of his departure as he spent the day with his beloved children enjoying the last few moments with them. For 92 years he had run the marathon with perseverance and stamina. He had modeled the hope everyone is looking for, that is, you can live an exemplary life in this world. He was at peace with all; his God, his family, his relatives and his friends.

Like an athlete who competed in the marathon, he has crossed the finish line and I am sure he has received his crown of righteousness from the righteous Judge, Jesus. But praise God it is not only for him but for all of us too!

Wow! What a glorious thought....for all of us who are longing for His appearance!

No comments: